Skip to main content

Classified As Sedentary.....

Good morning!  It is a wonderful day here as I sit at my computer and look out over the beautiful snow!  On Wednesdays I start work at noon, so that gives me Lori time in the morning.  No coffee however, that will be saved for my sister and our coffee break at the salon!!  It's always nice to have something to look forward to isn't it??

Yesterday was a good day with my food.  I stayed on plan and felt accomplished!  I wore my fitbit but was not happy with my total steps.  2,752 was my total steps taken yesterday.  Now, I read that we should aim for 10,000 steps per day.  That is so far off from what I did, and I don't have a sit down job!  It's frustrating to me as how to get closer to that 10,000 mark.  I guess they say to make up the steps by taking a walk.  But honestly...BRRR....it's freezing outside, and I dislike walking on ice and snow.  Who am I kidding...I dislike walking period.  I wish I could be more like my sister, who walks constantly.  Anyway,  last night I read a little about our society and walking.  This is the information I found on the "About Health" website.

1......Under 5000 steps/day is considered a sedentary lifestyle.
2......5,000 - 7,499 steps/day is considered a low active lifestyle. 
        (This is average for Americans.)
3......7,500 - 9,999 steps/day is considered somewhat active.
4......10,000 steps/day is considered to be active
5......More that 12,5000 steps/day is considered highly active.


In another article, I found this fun little bit on information :)

Amish men, who mostly work as farmers, took an average of 18,425 steps a day.

Women, most of whom report being homemakers, engaging in activity such as gardening, cooking, and childcare still achieved an average of 14,196 daily steps. 

What is wrong here?  Tv, computer, household conveniences,  busy lifestyles...I think these all play a part in us not moving enough.  Now, I realize the Amish do have to walk places because they cannot drive, but still, this is a huge difference.

So I guess I am classified at having a sedentary lifestyle.  This is sad to me.  This is something I have to change.  But how??  They say if you add just 2,000 more steps a day to your regular activities, you can reduce health risks and lose weight.  2,000 steps is about one mile.  How can I get that extra mile in on a cold winter night after work?  Some examples thy gave was walking inside your home.  Do laps, do stairs over and over again.  Jog in place while watching tv.  Hmm....I guess I am up for anything.  Or, I can just be a big girl and get my but outside.  I can always look forward to a nice hot bath and tv in front of the fireplace when I get return :)
 Finding a way to get close to 10,000 steps a day is just another step in my journey of finding Lori :) 

xoxo


"Above all, do not lose your desire to walk.
 Every day I walk myself into  a state of well-being
and walk away from every illness.
  I have walked myself into my best thoughts,
 and I know of no thought so burdensome
that one cannot walk away from it."

~Soren Kierkegaard






Comments

  1. It can be hard to get those 10,000 steps. When I worked a day job, I had to exercise or I wouldn't even come close. I'd be interested in seeing how many steps I get now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment