Skip to main content

If It Doesn't Challenge You........

This post should have been up in October, but since I wasn't blogging all that much last year, I just wanted to share it with you now :)

Image result for quotes on empowering yourself

At beginning of August, I came across some information on line, about an annual 5K that is hosted by our local Runners Club.  It's basically for women only.  Now, I've been wanting to try a 5K for years, but, you all know, I am not a walker or a runner, or anything like that, so I never thought I could do it.  Well, something something came over me that day and I signed up online without even thinking about it.  I decided to tell people right away, so there was no way to back out of it :)  I signed up to walk it, but after a few days, I began to think that I might try running part of it.  I had 2 months to prepare, so I downloaded the Couch to 5K app on my phone and began my "training".  It was tough....mentally and physically.   I quit a few times and had to restart, so when my race day came, I knew that I wouldn't be able to run the entire thing, but I had figured on that to begin with, so that was fine!     I would be happy just to not come in last!!




 I had decided that this was something I wanted to do on my own, by myself.   I am a big baby, and at 52, I thought it was time for me to actually do something out of my comfort zone, and push myself.
The day of the race came and I was so nervous!  I drove there, parked, walked to the crowd of women all on my own. This may not be a big deal for some, but for me, who always relies on others for confidence....it was huge!  I knew that my sister was going to try to go, but Greg had plans for a long bike ride with a friend and my daughter, Blayne had to work.  The race began and about 1/2 way through, there stood Greg, Blayne and my sister to surprise me, holding a sign and flowers, and cheering me on!  It was amazing!

Here I come...In the pink :) 




I felt so a motivated after I saw them!  I kept up my pace the best I could for the rest of the race.
I finished with the time of 45.35  This being my first race, being a newbie walker and a (now reformed) couch potato, I was thrilled with my time!!

After the race...
Blayne, Greg and I :) 


After the race, my sister Blayne and I went to Panera to celebrate with coffee and bagels.  


This was the most empowering and amazing thing I have ever done.  From start to finish.  Signing up, training, finishing.....  It all played a part in changing me. I didn't give up on something that was tough, and I have much more confidence in myself!   These are two things that I most need work on.

 If you ever thought you couldn't do something, look at me...overweight, inactive, 52 year-old, 5K'er......That's me :)

xoxo


Image result for quotes on empowering yourself

Comments

  1. Congratulations! And your race pictures look great :) You look so confident and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! How rewarding it must have been for you to cross the finish line. I am glad you stepped out of your comfort zone and pushed yourself to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you, Lori!!! You took on a big challenge and not only completed it, you rocked it! Love that your family came out to surprise and support you during the race - and wow, you looked so fantastic in the pictures! YAY YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word! I’m so happy for you! How amazing you are!!!! I literally tested up as I read this post...because I know the effort that went into your victory ...in all ways, physical mental and emotional!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment