Skip to main content

Goals and Friendship

My friend Pam and I have so much history.  We met when I was still in high school, through our husbands, who were our boyfriends at the time.  She and I were inseparable for so long.  Then life got in the way, and so on and so forth, time flew by and miles separated us.  Throughout the years I have thought about her and missed her and what we had.   A few months ago, we reconnected, and it feels like a part of me is restored.  We picked up without skipping a beat.  That is true friendship.  We are still separated by miles, but it never fails that she emails me at the moment I need her.  Here is a recent quote she sent me, which is right on track with what I have been doing.........

"The more reasons you have for achieving your goal, 
the more determined you will become."
-- Brian Tracy

It goes on to say.............

We set a goal for ourselves and we are filled with determination -- this will be done!
 
Then the alarm goes off in the morning and we think -- it can wait. I can start tomorrow. I don’t really have to do it today. It’s not that important. And on and on.
 
Research shows that writing down your goals will make you more likely to achieve them. That we know.
 
But what if in addition to writing down the goal you also wrote down the reasons the goal is important for you? What if you captured on paper that energy and determination you have when you first set the goal?
 
Then when the alarm goes off in the morning, or when the task you need to do to accomplish your goal is in front of you and you feel tempted to put it off, you can look at your list of reasons, or motivations and remember why it’s important to you.

I personally think this is a wonderful idea!  Not only set a goal, but note why you want to succeed in the goal.  What is the reason?  Goals are so important to me right now.  Even if I fail and do not hit my goals for the week, at least mentally I am thinking of them, making an attempt to change, and trying.  Even this is enough to feel some sort of success.  

With that said, here are my goals for the week......



I want to stay within my points because this will help me feel better, help me feel more in control and help me on the scale.  I need to lose 1 pound to turn this month around.  I have consistently been eating poorly and it is really showing on the scale.  Like I said before, I am tired of it and it needs to change.  I tried hard this past week, but I've been sick and all I want is comfort food and chocolate.  That is totally an excuse, but I tend to do that.  Anyway, these are my goals for this week.  The weekend was super!  I stayed within my points on Saturday and Sunday, and I went to the gym today and have been on track all day, so at least I am starting out in a good place :)  

So, that is all I have.  Thank you for putting up with all of my downer posts lately.  I am trying to turn this around.  I know it's depressing to continually ready GAINS on my posts, but it is what it is and I am determined to turn this around. It's just taking me a little longer than I thought :) 

Thank you Pam, for motivating me, for making me think, and for being back in my life!  I value your advice and truly value our friendship!

xoxo


Image result for quotes on rekindling friendship

 

Comments

  1. Lovely to connect with old friends! I love the idea of not only writing down goals, but reasoning behind them too. Such a great way to keep on track and not push off to tomorrow what can be done today with a little motivation. Good luck with this week's goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually a fantastic recommendation, yet I have to wonder what I could apply it to. My big things that I always write down 'to-do' are writing elements and I'm not sure I could capture them per-say without ACTUALLY writing whatever it is that I'm inspired to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those types of friends are the best!!!!

    One pound is so doable for you!!!! You know why you want it and you know how to do it....lets plan to celebrate the success at the end of the month!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pretty much gained with every weigh in in February, so I don't see your posts as downers, just honest. I need to write a post about why I want to lose weight so I can read it over and over again when I feel unmotivated!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment